Monday, August 1, 2011

What Is Next for Fedor Emelianeko?

Finally writing again, sorry for the delay.
Many blog-worthy stories have occurred in the world of sports during my time off, so expect numerous posts today.

"Should I stay or should I go now?
 If I go there will be trouble,
 An I stay it will be double"

  I never ever thought that a song by the Clash could summarize the current situation of MMA heavyweight legend Fedor Emelianenko (MMA 31-4-1, SF 1-3), but it does and makes perfect sense.
  Emelianenkeo, 34, considered to be the greatest heavyweight of all-time in MMA with wins over Tim Sylvia, Mark Coleman, Andrei Arlovski, Mirko Cro Cop, and Minotauro Nogueira (the list could go on), is going through a tragic downfall.
Fedor
   After winning his first fight at a Strikeforce event against Brett Rogers in November of 2009, Emelianenko has lost three straight fights for the company. He was surprisingly submitted by Fabricio Werdum in June of 2010, a nasty swelling of his eye cost him a loss against Antonio Silva in the first round of Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix in February, and as of most recently, a TKO stoppage loss by Dan Henderson (which was very questionable) last Saturday, at the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Illinois.
   So the question that is probably constantly ringing in Emelianenkeo's head is: "Should I stay or should I go?"
   Strikeforce has already stated that they want him to sign another contract with the company, but Emelianenkeo has nothing else to prove in the sport. He has one of the best fighting resumes you can ask for, and has helped the sport gain world-wide popularity.
   Even a three fight win streak cannot hurt his credibility.
   Emelianenkeo could retire this week and still be known as one of the best. This losing streak would just mean that he is out of his prime and its time to quit. Anyone could understand that because you cannot be the best forever.
   Although I personally think he should retire because he has nothing else to prove, I do not think Emelianenkeo will take the "Should I go" route. Fighters never quit unless they truly know its time, and I do not think Fedor thinks its his time yet; and that could possibly be true. He did not take a true beating in any of those losses, he was highly competitive and could have won all of those fights. Emelianenkeo's situation cannot be compared to Wanderlei Silva's, where Silva just walks into the octagon and gets knocked out within seconds. I expect him to train more and harder than he has ever done before to show us he still has it, I just hope it does not ruin his career when it is retirement time.
   "If I go there will be trouble." These lyrics fit well too because if Emelianenkeo does retire at this time, it could hurt him mentally. He could regret retirement if he really does think he could have won those three fights. Most likely, by the time he realizes he regrets his decision, it will be too late to do anything about it.
   "An if I stay it will be double"- If Fedor does continue to fight and continues to lose, his career could be in jeopardy. His historic resume could be overshadowed by the fact that he was another fighter who tried to keep fighting after his prime and it cost him both physically and mentally.
  I, like all of you, have no idea what Fedor Emelianenkeo will do. I hope that he retires, but I could easily see him returning to fight for the sole reason that in each of his last three fights, he has still shown flashes of greatness. I would love to see Fedor come back and win some more fights, but I just do not know if he could.
   The decision will be here eventually, but expect Fedor to stay fighting. Lets all just pray that the trouble is not doubled.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just A Sign of Thanks

Thanks so much for reading "Sports Talk With A Teen", it means the world to me that my work has been read. Feel free to email me with questions or comments at andya92@aol.com Thanks again!